History

Town Rudo was founded in the location of Rudo polje (Old town Rudo is there today) in 1555. According to the founding communiqué (vakufnami) from 1555, the settlement was named Rudo (Mezra Rudo), and Mustafa Sokolović, who was in charge of that area at the time, proclaimed it a town. Mustafa was born in Sokolovići, a village that is about four kilometres away from Rudo, located downstream of the Lim, on its right coast.
There are two sources about Rudo from the Ottoman period: one is Vakufnama of Mustafa pasha Sokolovic and the other is the traveler Evlija Celebija (1662-1664). In the great flood , in November 9/10, 1896, the Lim River flooded Rudo in its left bank, and the new Rudo was formed on a plateau, rising about 60 meters above the right bank of the Lim River. Rudo was the first place in the then Austro-Hungarian province of Bosnia and Herzegovina, which was built according to a previously developed urban plan in the Civil Affairs Department of the Land Government in Sarajevo. Significant progress in the economic sense was obtained by the opening of the narrow-gauge railroad Sarajevo-Mededja-Uvac and Medjeda-Vardište, 1906. (Railroads that cost a kilo of gold per meter). According to the population census of 1910, there were 9,892 inhabitants in the territory of present day municipality of Rudo, of which 6142 were Orthodox, 3633 Muslims, 112 Catholics and 5 Jews.
A very significant date is related to Rudo for the history of the Former Republic Yugoslavia. The First Proletarian People's Liberation Impact Brigade was formed on December 21, 1941 in Rudo. In the post-war period, the date of the first fight of the brigade - December 22, 1941 at the village of Gaocici, was marked as the Day of the Army of Yugoslavenian people.
Image

Staro Rudo before the flood

Image

The only written record about floods from 1896 in Rudo